Monday, October 20, 2014

Brand New Meal Plan! October 20-26th

Happy Monday! I hope you had a wonderful weekend, and I very much hope you've been looking forward to this meal plan! This is actually the same meal plan my family and I are eating this week too, although I'm a few days ahead of you. I've tried almost every one of these recipes, aside from the Carrot Zucchini Spiced Muffins, and the Ham and Cheddar Chowder. And now, onto a few explanations of the meal plan.

This meal plan typically feeds a family of four, so adjust the recipes to fit accordingly. We like leftovers for lunch, so some weeks there won't be any lunchtime recipes, just leftovers with a sandwich or something. That's just how we roll. If I've made any changes to a recipe, I'll explain in the following paragraph. I'll also let you know which recipes freeze well! Since it's just the four of us, I like to take a casserole that normally bakes in a 9X13 dish, and split it into two 8X8 dishes and freeze one for a later time. The breakfasts will usually feed our family twice, that's why I only put four recipes up.

Notes for This Week's Recipes:
  • Both oatmeal recipes for this week will reheat wonderfully with a little extra milk or water added.
  • The Vanilla Coconut Granola will leave you with plenty of leftovers, so use some for next week. It also makes a great snack all on it's own or as a hearty bowl of cereal. My kids like it with raisins added in. 
  • I used 8-10 bone in chicken thighs for the Mustard Roasted Chicken. Worked out great! Use whatever bone-in chicken you like, or whatever is on sale this week. I also forgot to pick up lemons for the lemon zest so I left it out. And I used fresh rosemary instead of thyme. Turned out amazing!
  • The Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake is so yummy! However, when I made it once before it was pretty watery - closer to a stew than a casserole. So you may want to consider using less enchilada sauce. It wasn't bad with a soupy consistency, I just wanted to let you know so you can adjust the recipe if you'd like.
  • Ok, so Tater Tot Casserole... I love comfort food! I just do, and this is my favorite. I make my own cream of whatever soup instead of store bought, and it has an entire pound of vegetables in it, so I actually feel really good about serving this to my family. Plus, both of my kids (almost 2 and almost 4) gobble it up!
  • I'm going to cut the recipe for Ham and Cheddar Chowder in half because it makes 8 servings, and I didn't need that much. Although she says that it freezes wonderfully!
  • The Meatballs and Spaghetti are the best I've ever had. My daughter LOVES these. Although the sauce seems really simple, it's out of this world amazing. I didn't use a Chianti in the sauce, I used a Cabernet Sauvignon because it's also a red and I already had some on hand. We ate this one night, my husband took some to work for lunch, then I froze the rest. So now we'll have another night of spaghetti and meatballs, or we can do meatball sandwiches. YUM.
  • These Chicken Nuggets aren't just for kids! You won't believe how good these are!! Double the amount of chicken (you'll have enough coatings) and freeze some for later. 
  • The recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza dough makes enough for two pizzas. You can make one for that night, and freeze the other! She gives instructions on how and when in the process to freeze. You can also make one pizza, then make pizza pockets out of the other dough and freeze them. Just cut the dough into pieces, roll into a circle, add your sauce, cheese and toppings. The fold it over to make a crescent and pinch the seams down with a fork. Bake with your pizza, then freeze for another time. 

Breakfast
Vanilla Coconut Granola with Yogurt and fruit

Lunch
Leftovers
Sandwiches with Applegate Farms Ham

Dinner
Crispy Mustard Roasted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes and Broccoli
Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake (using leftover Mustard Chicken)
Whole Wheat Pizza, carrots, celery, cucumbers with dip


No comments:

Post a Comment