Monday, December 10, 2012

Meatless Monday: Baked Two Bean Taquitos (Freezable!!)

I've been experimenting with beans lately, specifically dried beans. I like how cheap they are compared to their canned counterparts, and I love that it's a great source of protein! I noticed I was building up a stockpile of dried beans in my pantry so I went in search of some recipes to help me use them up. I saw one recipe for bean taquitos, but it didn't sound amazing enough. So I went in search of other bean taquitos, and this recipe fit the bill. I liked that it used black beans and refried beans because I always have a stash of Crock Pot Refried Beans in my freezer. I also loved the fact that it's freezable!

The recipe came together really easily. You literally just mix everything together, then spoon some filling into a tortilla and roll! Easy peasy. I'll also mention that I only had 18 tortillas, so we had quite a bit of filling leftover. We ate it up with some chips as a bean dip and it was delicious!

The taquitos themselves were wonderful! We all thoroughly enjoyed them, even our sometimes picky toddler! Next time I make these, I'm going to use flour tortillas (instead of corn) to see which we like better. The original recipe said that they liked the flour tortillas just as much as the corn, if not more. We had these with Mexican Slaw, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. My husband and I each had four taquitos, and we were more than satisfied. They're pretty filling!

These are great to have on hand for a last minute meal, they're super inexpensive and are sure to be a new family fave!

Baked Two Bean Taquitos adapted from The Curvy Carrot
Servings: about 36 taquitos

4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup fresh salsa
Juice from one small lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
One 15-ounce can refried beans
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (I used sharp cheddar)
Small Corn or Flour Tortillas (I used corn tortillas), about 36 or so  (depending on how full you fill them)
Sea salt
For garnish: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, both kinds of beans, and cheese, mixing until well combined.

Heat your tortillas briefly so they're pliable for rolling. Place a scoop (About 1 1/2 tablespoons for me) of the bean mixture in the center of each tortilla and, starting at one end, roll each taquito up tightly.

Place taquitos seam-side down onto the rimmed baking sheet.

Generously spray the taquitos with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake the taquitos for 15-20 minutes, and flip once halfway through.

Freezer Instructions: Prepare the taquitos through rolling them out and placing them on the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze until solid, then transfer to a large freezer bag. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 425 and place the taquitos on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

Source: Adapted from Annie’s Eats, as seen on Pennies on a Platter, originally from Our Best Bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment