Monday, November 19, 2012

What to Do With Thanksgiving Leftovers - 7 New Recipes

Thanksgiving is only a few days away, and this pregnant lady is SO excited! I love Thanksgiving food. Turkey, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes with homemade gravy, stuffing, rolls, etc. Sounds like a carb fest, and you know... I'm totally ok with that. I've been getting the same question lately about Thanksgiving leftover ideas, so I thought I'd compile a list of recipes I've seen in the last few weeks that utilize your leftover bounty. In our house, we do a lot of turkey sandwiches with my Mom's special mayo, which reminds me that I still need to share that recipe with you! But let's face it, turkey sandwiches get boring after awhile. So here's some fun ideas for you and your family. Keep in mind that leftover chicken would work here as well!


I saw this recipe on ABC's The Chew, and it hails from Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter). I loved this recipe because it uses up your leftover stuffing, gravy and turkey! She melts Grueyere cheese over the top of the peppers and serves them with a dollop of Greek yogurt. I definitely want to try this recipe this year. 

Another recipe from Daphne. This would be great the morning after Thanksgiving! With sweet potatoes, leftover turkey, apples, onions, thyme and a fried egg over the top. Packed with flavor and great nutrition!


I found this recipe on Pinterest. It's your basic Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, but uses turkey instead and is made in the crock-pot! It's got onions, carrots, celery and you don't even have to cook the wild rice first. Score!


This is a Rachael Ray recipe. It's reminiscent of a stroganoff, but there's no sour cream. It's a cream sauce with turkey, fennel and onions that she serves over buttery Parmesan egg noodles. It's also a make-ahead meal! She gives instructions for that at the bottom of the recipe.

Another RR recipe here. This is definitely on my radar for leftover turkey! It's essentially a Mexican lasagna, b/c you're using tortillas instead of noodles. There's a sauce you make for this recipe with poblano peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro and cream. That all by itself is what made me want to try this! This is layers of a turkey, corn, mushroom mixture, then the delicious sauce, then cheese, then tortillas. In the words of Rachael, YUM-O! Also a make-ahead meal.

Another Rachael Ray recipe, but I found this guy on Pinterest! It's turkey, stuffing  cranberry sauce and white cheddar all rolled into pizza dough and when cooked, are dipped into leftover gravy! How fun is that?!


This recipe also comes from ABC's The Chew, but it's made by Carla Hall (Top Chef season 5 & 8). I'm suggesting this sandwich because I'd personally never thought to make one with all of these ingredients. Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, arugula, pickled onion, mayo and brown mustard. Sounds like a fresh and yummy spin on a traditional after turkey day sandwich. 

So there you have it, seven not-so-typical recipes for using up your Thanksgiving leftovers. I hope this gives you some inspiration! I know I'll be trying a recipe or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment