Tuesday, December 18, 2012

My Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms

Ah, my Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms... Hands down one of my most favorite things she makes. I request these babies all of the time. Birthdays, my bridal shower and my baby shower just to name a few. I remember having these at family get-togethers growing up, and they were always the first thing to go. I'll tell you something else, when it comes to stuffed mushrooms, you've never had anything like these ones. I've tried googling the recipe before, it's nowhere to be found. That secretly makes me smile because it's still my secret... Until now, because this recipe is too good to keep to myself. It deserves to be shared. 

The one thing that separates this recipe from the pack, is a special secret ingredient. One packet of Lawry's Spaghetti Seasoning. There's something about the flavor from this mix that is incomparable. Thinking about it now, a few of my Mom's secret recipes involve spice packets. Her famous tortellini recipe also includes Lawry's, and her "Special Mayonnaise" has a packet of Good Seasons Zesty Italian Dressing. I'll have to share those recipes with you too, they make me happy.

Anyway, these stuffed mushrooms make a great appetizer, but could also serve as a main course if you make enough of them. You can also stuff larger Portobello mushrooms instead of a bunch of button mushrooms. A few years ago, my parent's got the idea to use the stuffing inside of a stuffed zucchini. I shared that recipe with you at the end of last Summer. I suppose you could stuff any veggie with this mixture! 


My Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms

1 LB ground beef
1 onion, minced
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
4 mushrooms, minced
1 package Lawrey's spaghetti mix
1/2 cup Colby jack, shredded
1 T Parmesan
Large mushrooms hollowed out with a spoon, reserve stems and chop them finely

Heat a pan over medium heat, cook ground beef, mushroom stems and onion until beef is cooked through. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef and onion with the tomatoes, mushrooms spaghetti mix, and both cheeses.

Put beef mixture into hollowed out mushrooms. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-20 minutes, or until heated though.

No comments:

Post a Comment