Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Freezer to Crockpot Lime Salsa Chicken

I've been really into the idea of meals that go right from the freezer to the crock pot. For the most part, you're just chopping veggies, adding spices/herbs and adding it to a Ziploc then popping it into your freezer until you're ready to eat. Doesn't that seem super awesome? In theory yes, but in my experience there are some recipes where it doesn't work well. Some veggies don't freeze well (potatoes), and some veggies can't stand up to a long cook time in a crock pot (peppers, zucchini). Because of this, I've had a few freezer-to-crock pot recipes that didn't turn out well. However, I came across a few that seemed really promising and I'm happy to report this one was a winner!

It was really easy to put together, and reminded me of fajitas! I served the chicken mixture in tortillas with sour cream and cheese and we had Cilantro Lime Brown rice on the side. So so yummy, and close to no work at all! I definitely recommend giving this recipe a try.


Lime Salsa Chicken from Kojo Designs

Juice from one lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1.25-oz. package taco seasoning
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
3 lbs. boneless chicken breasts or thighs (I used half thighs, half breast tenderloins)
1 chopped red pepper (I used an orange pepper)
1/2 onion, chopped
24 ounces salsa

Add all ingredients except salsa to a gallon sized ziplock bag and freeze.

When ready to eat, add contents of the bag and one 24-ounce jar of salsa (Kojo used mango salsa, but I used regular salsa) to the crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.

Serve in corn tortillas (I used flour) with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment