Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Creamy (No-Oil) Hummus

I didn't discover hummus until I was in my twenties. It's now one of my favorite snacks because it's high protein, and this recipe in particular doesn't have any oil in it! It's a great alternative to high fat/calorie dips as well. I've tried a few different hummus recipes, but none can hold a candle to this recipe in my opinion. I was purchasing store bought hummus for awhile, but I prefer to buy organic hummus and it's not always easy to find. It's also not always delicious. So I started making my own again, and surprise, surprise it's also cheaper when you make it yourself, especially if you use dried beans like I do! I like to cook beans in my crock pot, then I portion them out into 1 and 2 cup portions and pop them in the freezer. Easy peasy.

Hummus is very easy to make, you put everything into a food processor and let it go until it's smooth. That's it! You can also experiment with other types of beans. I've seen recipes for black bean and white bean hummus. This recipe makes a lot, so if you don't think you can finish it within 5-7 days, go ahead and and freeze some!


Creamy (No-Oil) Hummus from The Biggest Loser Diet Book

3 cups chickpeas (2 15oz cans)
1/2c warm water
1T tahini
3T lime juice
1 1/2t cumin
1t salt
1T minced garlic
2T chopped cilantro, I left it out

Place the chickpeas, water, lime juice, tahini, cumin, garlic, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until very smooth, about 4 minutes.

Add an extra tablespoon or two of water if necesary.

Transfer to a bowl. Stir in Fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment