Thursday, October 25, 2012

Roasted Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza

If you were to tell my husband he could only eat one thing for the rest of his life, he would choose pizza. I'm not making this up, I literally just asked him even though I already knew the answer. It would be either pizza or tacos. Let me just be clear though, he has a very refined palate and loves everything I make. I even got him to like Brussels sprouts (the one food he told me he hated). Anyway, I say all of this to tell you that I try to make pizza at least once a week at home. We all love pizza around here, our toddler included.

Sometimes you just wanna branch out and try something new, especially when you make something so often. So when I saw this Roasted Garlic Pesto Pizza on Pinterest (surprise!), and realized I had everything on hand for it, I got really excited! Now, since you have to roast a head of garlic for this little baby, it's not something you can whip up last minute. Unless you have roasted garlic on hand 24/7 (which isn't actually a bad idea), you're gonna have to plan ahead a little bit. But that's ok, because it will allow you time to make your own dough!

This pizza has a ton of flavor! I used an entire head of roasted garlic, but next time I'm gonna use two :) I just love roasted garlic! I also added some sun dried tomatoes and chopped green onion, it just seem fitting and they ended up being perfect additions. I can't wait to make this again, I hope you'll give it a try too it's a gourmet new twist on plain ole' pizza.


Roasted Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza Adapted from Sugar Cooking
1 pizza crust
1/2 cup prepared pesto (store bough or homemade)
1 bulb of garlic
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked
Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese

Directions:
To roast the garlic: Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic. Place the garlic heads in a baking pan; muffin pans work well for this purpose. Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over each head, using your fingers to make sure the garlic head is well coated. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed. Remove garlic gloves and smash with a fork.

Spread roasted garlic over pizza dough. Do this to taste. I used almost the whole (small) bulb, but I LOVE roasted garlic.

Spread the pesto on the pizza.

Add the sliced, cooked chicken.

Sprinkle with mozzarella.

Top with fresh grated Parmesan.

Bake on preheated pizza stone for 8 - 12 minutes

1 comment: