Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Perfect Brown Rice Everytime

Brown rice is not something I grew up with. Even now, when I have the choice at an Asian restaurant I still lean toward ordering white rice. But when we're at home, I prefer to serve my family the more nutritious brown rice. The only problem is getting it cooked right. More often than not, it's not cooked all the way through, or it doesn't taste good. AT ALL. Thankfully there's Pinterest, where I came across this recipe for perfect brown rice every time. And I'll tell you what, it's the truth! I've made my brown rice this way at least a dozen times and it comes out perfect EVERY TIME. It's not mush, it's not unpleasantly chewy nor is it crunchy because it's not cooked all the way.

So if you're a brown rice hater or you don't make perfect brown rice, give this recipe a try. It'll change your life, in terms of brown rice that is ;)

Perfect Brown Rice Every Time from Skinnytaste

1 cup natural brown rice (I used long grain)
8 cups cold water
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt


Rinse the rice with cold water for 30 seconds. Bring the water and salt to a boil over high heat in a large heavy pot with a tight fitting lid.

When the water is boiling add the rice, stir and partially cover (don't cover completely or it will spill over) and cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes.

Drain the rice in strainer, then quickly return to the pot and cover tightly for 20 minutes so the steam finishes cooking the rice. Uncover the rice and fluff with a fork.

Makes about 3 1/2 cups. Different rice varieties may yield different amounts.
Adapted from Saveur

No comments:

Post a Comment