Monday, October 29, 2012

Meatless Monday: Yam and Spinach Bites

Ever since I wrote up the recipe for my Broccoli Potato Bites, I've been wanting to try a version with yams and a leafy green of some kind. The recipe for the Broccoli Potato Bites is also the third most popular recipe on my blog, so I figured quite a few of you enjoyed it as well. What really got me motivated to experiment was that my daughter seems to have fallen into a rut of what she will and will not eat. She's not into eating meat, unless it's chicken nuggets, hot dogs or a cheeseburger. And she can't have peanut butter until she's two, so lunch time around here has been repetitive and boring. My daughter loves yams, and since the broccoli potato bites kinda look like chicken nuggets, I thought we'd give this new recipe a go!

I made a few changes and adjustments to make this recipe work. The yam mixture turned out to be more liquidy, so instead of coating the bites with breadcrumbs, I added them to the mixture making this even easier assemble! I also sprinkled the Parmesan on top of each bite, giving it a little crunch and saltiness.

My daughter and I both loved these! I ate four of them by myself. These also look very much like chicken nuggets, so getting your kids to try them shouldn't be too hard because they look somewhat familiar. I hope you and your family will enjoy these as much as we do!


Yam and Spinach Bites

1 Lb yams
6 cups spinach, swiss chard, kale, etc. chopped fine
2 T butter or oil
1/2 c medium onion finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup shredded cheese, I used Fontina
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup Panko or Breadcrumbs
2 T Grated Parmesan

1. Scrub your yams, poke with a fork and microwave for about four minutes until cooked through.

2. While potatoes are cooking, chop onion and garlic, then saute in a small pan with butter or oil over medium low heat for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add your greens of choice, saute for a minute then turn the heat off and put the lid on. Let sit for two minutes until greens are wilted. *If using kale, saute for a few more minutes, and you'll probably have to let it steam for a few minutes with the heat on.

3. Once yams are done scoop the flesh from them skin and add to the mixing bowl with greens, onions and garlic. Add beaten egg, cheese, salt and panko/breadcrumbs then mix with hand mixer (or stand mixer, potato masher, fork, etc) until well blended.

4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Wet your hands, and take a scoop of the yam mixture (golf ball sized) and roll into a ball, then flatten and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat until you're all out of potato mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until brown and crispy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment