Monday, October 22, 2012

Meatless Monday: Freezer Egg and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos

I don't know about you, but I need protein at breakfast. For the last few weeks, I've been making myself a breakfast burrito almost every morning. I realized though that I was spending about 20 minutes each day just making a burrito. So I decided to make up a big batch to freeze so I could have breakfast in seconds, helping speed my morning along. I have seen a ton of recipes for breakfast burritos on Pinterest, but I wanted to do a meatless version and add some veggies and some black beans to mine for extra protein and fiber.

These babies are packed with eggs, black beans, onion, spinach, cheese, sour cream and salsa and they are oh-so satisfying! You could add any veggies you like, next time I might add some zucchini. Did you know zucchini goes really well with eggs? One of my favorite omelettes is mushrooms, shallots and zucchini. I digress. I have to say, I really love these guys! They pair wonderfully with a fruit smoothie. Did I mention there's 13 grams of protein in each one? And they're only 300 calories with the ingredients I used? Well there you go, good stuff right there!

So if you're looking to shake up your breakfast routine, you like make-ahead foods, and you want a hearty and satisfying breakfast, well then give these babies a try!


Freezer Egg and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos

3 cups cooked hash browns
1/2 large red onion, diced
1c black beans (or bean of your choice)
2c chopped spinach (or kale, chard, etc)
5 eggs
2T milk
6oz shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
12 whole wheat tortillas (taco size)
Sour cream (optional)
Salsa (optional)

In a non-stick frying pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and beans and cook until onions are tender, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add spinach to the pan and saute for a few seconds while it begins to wilt. Mix eggs and milk then add to the pan and cook until they're done.

Heat tortillas slightly so they're pliable. Working with four at a time, spread a few teaspoons of sour cream over the middle of the tortilla, then add hash browns, egg mixture, cheese and a few teaspoons of salsa. Wrap tortilla into a burrito, then wrap in plastic wrap, sealing tight. Store in the freezer in a gallon sized ziplock bag.

To heat: Unwrap and discard the plastic wrap from the burrito.Wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute, flip over and microwave for another 1 minute or until heated through. This worked perfectly in my microwave, yours might be different so you may have to experiment with heating times.

No comments:

Post a Comment