Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Freezer Turkey, Provolone and Pesto-Mayo Panini

I recently spent a few days with Jessie, my very best friend in the world, who happens to work at our church's cafe. While I was there, she made me a few sandwiches that blew my mind. She made me an Italian sandwich that had salami, ham and pepperoni on a hoagie with pesto-mayo and balsamic drizzle. She also made me a turkey sandwich that inspired today's recipe.

I love sandwiches, and I also love soup. I tend to make soup for dinner at least once a week, and sometimes I want something more substantial to go with the soup besides salad or a roll. So as I was writing out my family's menu for the next two weeks, I remembered the delicious sandwiches Jessie made. The wheels in my head began turning and I decided to experiment with a panini that could be cooked from a frozen state. I came up with this simple but delicious combination! I wanted to use a smaller sandwich roll, and the organic par-baked ciabatta rolls from Trader Joes are absolutely perfect! The pesto-mayo is what really makes this sandwich stand out. It gives an ordinary sandwich a bright kick and tons of flavor.

If you've been around the blog for awhile, you know that I love make ahead foods. Not that sandwiches are time consuming or hard to make, but it just makes an entire soup/sandwich meal come together with that much more ease. You can also choose not to bake these, just put them into the refrigerator overnight before you want to eat them. They should be defrosted and ready for lunchtime the next day.

These sandwiches come together really quickly, and it's awesome to have such delicious morsels hanging out in your freezer waiting to accompany a delicious soup or they can save the day when you don't have anything planned for lunch!


Freezer Turkey, Provolone and Pesto-Mayo Panini

6 ciabatta rolls sliced in half (I used the organic par-baked ciabatta from Trader Joes)
3 slices Provolone cheese sliced in quarters
12 slices turkey
3T Mayo
3T Pesto

If using par-baked ciabatta, follow instructions on packaging for par-baking.

While rolls are baking, mix the mayo and pesto together in a small bowl and set aside.

Once rolls are cooked and cooled, spread pesto-mayo on both sides of the roll.

Add a slice of cheese on each piece of bread, then add two pieces of turkey to the sandwich.

Wrap the finished sandwiches in foil and store in a gallon sized ziplock in the freezer.

When ready to eat: Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or until heated through and cheese has melted. Enjoy immediately!

1 comment:

  1. That is genius! I'm so pinning that and doing it next time be go to Trader Joe's.

    ReplyDelete