Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sloppy Sophisto Joes

Soppy Joes, a kid favorite if I've ever heard of one... But it wasn't one of mine. There's a few things about Sloppy Joes I don't like, one of those is soggy bread. It literally makes me gag. I also don't care for the flavor of Manwich, too sweet for my liking.  Unfortunately for me, every time I've had Sloppy Joes, they've been a soggy, too sweet, nasty mess. That is unitl I came across this recipe. 

I can't remember how I first found this recipe, but I was definitely intrigued. Sophisticated Sloppy Joes sounded like something right up my alley. The flavors of onions, carrots, celery, spices, red wine and Worcestershire sauce didn't sound like anything that could come out of a can of Manwich. I decided to make my own hamburger buns, and give this a try.

All I can say is that it was fantastic! Didn't taste any Sloppy Joe I'd had before, and to battle a soggy bun I toasted them first! I served these with some fresh sweet onion, pickles and a drizzle of mustard. Quite delicious if you ask me. When I make this now, I always make a double batch because as the Galley Gourmet suggested, it freeze beautifully! If you want to try a new spin on Sloppy Joes, or you're a hater like I once was, then this is a recipe for you!


Sloppy Sophisto Joes from the Galley Gourmet
makes 6 servings

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 celery rib, finely diced
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more to taste
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

6 buns, sliced
mayonnaise (not the salad dressing stuff)
yellow mustard
sweet onion, like Vidalia or Georgia, sliced into rings
bread and butter pickles

In a large skillet ( bigger if you are doubling the recipe) over medium-high heat, melt the butter.  Add the onion and sauté until it begins to brown, about 4-5 minutes.  Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.  Add the carrot, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the beef and cook until brown, breaking up any large clumps, about 5-7 minutes.  Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, remaining salt and black pepper and cook, stirring every few moments, for 2 minutes.  Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring for another minute.  Add the crushed tomatoes, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar and boil, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 6-8 minutes.  Stir in the vinegar and season to taste with additional salt and black pepper if needed.

To serve
Toast your buns! Slather a bit of mayonnaise on each bun half (I didn't do this).  Spoon some of the meat sauce on the bottom of each of the buns, top with a few onion slices, some bread and butter pickles, and a drizzle of yellow mustard.  Add the top half of the bun (I ate mine open-faced). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment