Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sauce for Pumpkin Spice Lattes

A funny thing happens to me four times a year. I am always ready for the new season about a month before they're set to change. So with Fall coming in a few weeks, I'm already craving cooler weather, cozy evenings at home, sweaters, leaves changing, hearty meals and pumpkin. I can make as many pumpkin recipes as I like, but one thing I really love is the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. Unfortunately for me, and many of my friends I've found, is that Starbucks doesn't carry Pumpkin Spice all year round. Boo. So what's a pregnant woman with a craving to do? Head to Pinterest of course!

I looked up a few different recipes, and I've tried two of them. This one was the winner. It's thick like the Pumpkin Spice sauce, it's not runny like a syrup. It's perfect in my opinion, and I am so happy to cure my craving for dollars less than I'd pay at Starbucks. A note to you if you don't have all of the spices listed. It can become expensive to buy entire jars of the spice, especially if you don't normally cook or bake with that spice. So instead of buying an entire jar, check to see if your grocery store has a bulk spice section. In my area, I've found them at Fred Meyer, QFC and Winco. It'll cost you pennies instead of lots of dollars :)

If you'd like to enjoy Pumpkin Spice any time of year, or if you'd like to enjoy it at home, give this recipe a try!


Pumpkin Spice Syrup for Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Baker Girl

1/3 cup pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon, or a couple of cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally to keep syrup from burning.

Let mixture cook together until it becomes syrup-y and begins to coat the spoon (for about 10-15 minutes), then remove from heat.

Refrigerate in a heat-proof container. The syrup will thicken a bit in the refrigerator, but will become syrup-y again when heated.

To make pumpkin spice latte, heat syrup with milk (about 2 cups of milk and 2-3 tablespoons of syrup, depending on how much milk or creamer you want to use and how pumpkin-y sweet you want your latte. I usually use about 2 tablespoons syrup + 2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream to cut down on the sugar.). Pour into a blender or whisk until frothy, for about ten seconds (to make it thick and prevent the pumpkin from settling on the bottom). Pour into cup and stir in about 1/2 cup or more of strong, hot coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment