Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tzatziki aka Cucumber Yogurt Sauce/Dip

I fell in love with tzatziki the first time I had it. It's cool, tangy, refreshing and garlicky. What else could you want? It's good as a sauce over fish or chicken, as a dip with fresh veggies, over fried/roasted potatoes and it belongs on a Gyro. The options are endless. I don't know if it's that I'm pregnant, or what but I literally ate half of a cucumber with this tzatziki last week. With NO guilt either! :)

I've been making this specific recipe from the get-go. Ten years ago Emeril Lagasse was my idol and he was my go-to for recipes, this recipe is his. It's perfect. It's not overly watery from the cucumber because instead of shredding the cucumber on a grater, he has you peel and de-seed the cucumber before finely mincing it.

If you want to make the Gyros I posted the other day, if you love tzatziki or if you want to try a refreshing new sauce or dip then you should make this immediately. Enjoy!

Kicked Up Tzatziki Sauce from Emeril Lagasse

Makes 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients
1 medium cucumber, peeled, sliced in half, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar (I've also used apple cider vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dill
1 clove garlic, minced

In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to marry.

Serve as a dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment