Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Grilled Marinated Veggies

One of the things I love most about Summer is being able to use the grill more often. An all time favorite side dish of ours are simple grilled veggies. Normally I just drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper or a grill seasoning. But the other day when I was making my Shistawook, I wanted something a little more special. Off to Pinterest I flew, and after some searching I came across a recipe for marinated and grilled veggies! Even better, I could utilize the fresh herbs I've been growing.

This recipe takes minutes to throw together, and as if summer veggies aren't delicious enough, these are even more flavorful than you can imagine! You can really use any veg your family likes here, I picked out a few locally grown organic favorites at a co-op near my house. I have to say, pattypan squash is my new favorite squash, even more than zucchini! It's a firmer squash, and it's sweeter. Give it a try if you see it in the store or at the farmer's market. This makes a great side dish to any grill menu, plus it's easy and so good for you!

Grilled Marinated Veggies, adapted from Cooking with Corey

1/2c extra virgin olive oil
1/4c lemon juice
1/4c fresh basil
1/4c fresh oregano
2T fresh rosemary
1 1/2t salt
1 1/2t paprika
1t garlic powder
1t ground black pepper

2 zucchini
2 pattypan squash
1 sweet onion
1 bell pepper
1 large fennel bulb

Wash and dry all of your veggies. Then slice into about 1/4" slices.


Combine all marinade ingredients in a large serving bowl, stirring thoroughly to ensure uniformity of flavor. Add all vegetables to the serving bowl and coat them with the marinade. You can let the veggies sit for a few minutes or a few hours. I let mine marinate for a few hours, and it didn't hurt the texture of the veggies at all.

When your grill is hot (anywhere from medium to med/high), carefully place the marinated vegetables onto the grill. If you're using small pieces of veg that might fall through the grill grates, you may want to use a  metal/disposable aluminium slotted grill pan. Make sure to watch carefully for flame "flareups" due to dripping marinade. Harder veg like fennel, onions and even bell peppers will take longer to cook than say, squash or mushrooms, so grill accordingly. Cook vegetables until they are crisp and slightly charred on the outside and soft on the inside. Once cooked, serve immediately.



No comments:

Post a Comment