As soon as I saw this recipe, I was intrigued. It sounded so good, and with a dollop of cream cheese frosting on top, how could you go wrong? It came together very quickly, and didn't take too long to bake. I used my Anchor custard cups that come with plastic lids, so I had breakfast made for the week! They re-heat perfectly in about 90 seconds in the microwave. Oatmeal and some fruit, or a smoothie, makes for a wonderful breakfast!
This oatmeal is made with natural sweeteners, oats, applesauce, milk and cinnamon. The frosting is a lighter version of cream cheese frosting.
Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal Cups – Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie
Ingredients - makes 2, 1 C servings, or 4 1/2 C servings
- 1 cup oats (50g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3T maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (60g) (You can sub pumpkin or mashed banana)
- 1/2 cup milk, creamer, juice, or water
- pinch salt
- Optional, for a more-buttery flavor: 1 T oil or nut butter (if oil, scale the other liquid back)
- Optional: handful of raisins, chopped walnuts, brown sugar for the top
Frosting, optional but wonderful!
- 1-2 T cream cheese
- 4 T powdered sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional: milk, added until desired creaminess is reached
Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 375.
Mix together the 1 C oats, 1/2 C applesauce, 1/2 C milk, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 3 T maple syrup, 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/8 tsp. salt in a large bowl.
Lightly grease 4 – 1/2 C ramekins or small bowls. Alternatively, lightly grease 2 – 1 C small bowls.
Pour the oat mixture into each small dish.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, blend together 2 T cream cheese, 4 T powdered sugar, and 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.
Serve the baked oatmeal topped with cream cheese frosting & cinnamon.