Monday, August 27, 2012

Cilantro-Jalapeno Slaw

Cole slaw is another one of those things I was late in the game to liking. I still don't like the super creamy/sweet KFC type. Once, when I was four or five, my cousin took me to a burger restaurant and my meal came with cole slaw. She didn't believe me when I told her I didn't like slaw, and she made me eat it. I threw up. Sorry for that, just trying to get you to see the severity of the situation. Anyway, nowadays I do enjoy certain types of slaw. I do prefer a more savory slaw, as mentioned earlier, and this recipe is my current favorite. 

It hails from Ree the Pioneer Woman, she's absolutely fabulous. Her recipes range from country down home cooking, to fancy shmancy deliciousness. This recipe is no exception. It's actually a lighter slaw because the sauce is made with equal parts milk and mayo. It gets a nice kick from fresh jalapenos, but the cilantro and the cabbage cool it down. It's perfect symmetry, really. It's great piled on top of the Crock Pot Pulled Pork I posted yesterday. I say you give this recipe a try, because it's definitely different than anything you've tried before!


1/2 head Cabbage, Sliced Thin
1/2 head Purple Cabbage, Sliced Thin
1 whole Jalapeno, Halved Lengthwise And Thinly Sliced
1/2 cup Whole Milk
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 cups Cilantro Leaves, Barely Chopped
Preparation Instructions

Combine shredded cabbage and sliced jalapenos in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate two hours.
Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment