Thursday, August 2, 2012

Baked Buffalo Drumsticks

I know I've mentioned (on occasion) that I love watching The Food Network. One of the shows I'm quite fond of is Ten Dollar Dinners with Melissa D'arabian. I've saved quite a few of her recipes, and we made one of hers for dinner last night, Baked Buffalo Drumsticks. We love wings at our house (although I prefer the boneless), and we love buffalo sauce at our house so this seemed like a winner.

The prep work was less than three minutes to get these little guys into the oven. They bake for 50 minutes, then you toss them in a buffalo-butter-BBQ sauce and bake for 10-15 more minutes. It doesn't get much easier than that! They came out crispy and super flavorful. My husband is not a picky eater but he said that was the best "wing" I've ever made. Quite the compliment from a wing lover like my husband. I loved Melissa's addition of a splash of BBQ sauce to her wing sauce, it gave the sauce a little bit of smokiness that just seemed perfect.

Also, the entire recipe cost me less than $5 to make. Drumsticks are a cheaper piece of chicken, but I got mine on sale too! The one downside to wings is the work it takes to get the meat off of a piece of chicken that's so small. With drumsticks = Problem solved! I saw in the recipe reviews that some people used a whole cut up chicken or thighs in place of the drumsticks, so I'm sure you could experiment with that if you wanted to. Either way, you'll want to give this recipe a try, it's sure to be a family fave!

Buffalo Drumsticks from Melissa D'arabian


Chicken:

8 drumsticks
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Spicy Sauce:

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup hot sauce
1 tablespoon BBQ sauce

For the chicken: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse and pat dry the drumsticks. Mix the oil, chili powder, garlic powder, and some salt and pepper in a medium bowl or resealable plastic bag. Toss the drumsticks in the seasoned oil to coat well. Bake the drumsticks on a wire rack placed on a baking sheet (so air circulates around chicken) until very tender and the skin is crisp, 50 minutes.

For the spicy sauce: Mix together the butter, hot sauce and BBQ sauce in a large bowl.

Toss the drumsticks in the spicy sauce until well coated. Place the drumsticks back on the rack and continue baking an additional 10 to 15 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Note to self: DO not read this blog while hungry as hunger tends to strike harder with yummy meals to look upon.

    ReplyDelete