Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Some Ideas for Easter Dinner Side Dishes

I don't know about you, but when it comes to big holiday meals (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc), the side dishes are just as much of the star as the main dish to me. From gooey cheesy potatoes, to buttery rolls, to fresh green beans or asparagus. My mouth is watering, and I still have five days until Easter dinner :( Don't worry, I will make it through.

I'm sharing some of the side dishes that will be gracing our Easter Dinner table this Sunday. We're having dinner with friends since our family is far away. I'm contributing potatoes and a dessert to the meal.

~I said I would bring scalloped potatoes, and trust me when I say that I compared at least ten different scalloped potato recipes before finally finding "the One" from Simply Recipes

Scalloped Potatoes from Simply Recipes
It's got butter, onions, chives, bacon, Swiss or Gruyere, Parmesan and half and half. Hello! What more could you want?!

~Next up: Vegetables! I wanted to do something different (surprise, surprise) and I've had this recipe sitting in waiting for the perfect meal. Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad from one of my Food Network favorites, Anne Burrell. What I like most about making this for Easter dinner is that it can potentially be made in advance, just adding the dressing an hour before serving.

Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad from Anne Burrell
Simple salad tossed in a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing. This salad should be fairly heavily dressed. The vinegar will sort of "cook" or tenderize the asparagus. It is best to do this about an hour or so in advance to let the flavors "marry".

~Lastly, buttery delicious rolls. I made these over Thanksgiving and they are fabulous! There's three really great things about this recipe: 1. You can freeze the dough. 2. You can use the same dough to make cinnamon rolls. 3. You can make it right in your bread machine! That's three great reasons to make this. It's seriously really easy!

Shannon's Famous Cinnamon Rolls (and Basic Rolls) from Lucy Jane's Best
Lite, buttery and fluffy crescent shaped rolls. You'll impress your friends and family for sure!

If you haven't given much thought to your Easter dinner sides, I hope you'll give these a try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment