Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Monday - Huevos Rancheros

Sorry for the interruption in programming folks, my little family and I just got through a move! For the last two weeks, we've been looking for a place, packing, moving and unpacking. We're finally in our new (much bigger!!) house, and are settling in nicely. We're all unpacked, except a few boxes in our daughter's room, and we even got a few things up on the walls last night. I've got a lot of new things I'm excited to share with you thanks to the move and this new house! I learned a couple of new cleaning tips, and I'll be sharing some DIY and crafty things too as we continue to get settled and make our home more cozy. In the meantime, I wanted to take this week, and share some Cinco de Mayo inspired recipes. Starting today!

This recipe has quickly become one of my favorite meals. You can literally eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and I quite honestly LOVE those types of recipes. I came across this recipe about six months ago. Seth and I were hungry on the way home from church on a Wednesday night, and I'd already been looking at recipes for Huevos Rancheros that day. It just so happened that I had made a batch of Crock Pot Re-fried Beans that day, and I had everything on hand to make these delicious morsels.

If you've never had Huevos Rancheros, my version is: a crispy corn tortilla slathered in refried beans, then topped with melted cheese, a fried egg and salsa. I wasn't too sure what I'd think about re-fried beans and an egg, but I tell you it's nothing short of spectacular. For those of you who like runny yolks (I do not), I would imagine that this would be great with an over easy/medium egg.

I've made this dozens of times since that Wednesday night, and I've simplified the process since then. These are not expensive to make, and are protein packed with an egg, some cheese and re-fried beans. We usually eat two a piece, although I could probably eat three... They're just so good!! 

Huevos Rancheros
Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 corn tortillas
8 eggs
1-2 cups shredded cheese, I like extra sharp cheddar or white cheddar, pepper jack would be good too
Salsa, I love Emerald Valley Organic Salsa
Spray oil or olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Spray or brush oil onto both sides of the tortillas and lay them out on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes until crispy enough for your liking. I like mine still somewhat pliable. While tortillas are baking, heat up your beans.

Cook your eggs to desired done-ness. I like mine fried and not runny, but you might like yours runny. So that's up to you!

When tortillas are cooked and eggs are done, you'll slather about 1/4 cup of re-fried beans on top, sprinkle with cheese, top with salsa and finish with an egg. Now, go and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment