Monday, April 2, 2012

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Mustard, Rosemary & Apple Marinade

Four years ago, my husband was deployed in Iraq for a 15 month tour. I had a year's worth of holidays spent without my husband, but thankfully I had my brother and sister in law literally across the street from me the whole time he was gone. They, and my sweetie pie niece kept me company and I never spent a holiday alone because of them! Easter of 2008, I was feeling in a hostess type mood, so I made plans to have my sister and brother in law over as well our friends Josh and Jessie. Now, me being the foodie that I am, I couldn't just do a typical ham dinner. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with ham! I can get down on some ham, but I wanted something fresh and different. So I looked around and came across this recipe, Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Mustard, Rosemary & Apple Marinade. Doesn't that just sound fresh, and like Spring, and like something wonderful that you'd want to eat for Easter dinner? Well, it did to me and that's what I made!

photo credit
This recipe is so perfect for so many reasons... The combination of flavors you get from the Dijon mustard, apple juice concentrate, and fresh rosemary is so intricate and amazing. It will knock your socks off, Josh still talks about how much he loved it.

The first time I made this, I did make the tea/vinegar/shallot sauce to go over the meat when it's finished cooking... But to be perfectly honest, I hated it and didn't use it. So I can't vouch for how this recipe tastes with that sauce. I will tell you however, that this marinade is also fantastic with chicken if you aren't a pork connoisseur.

I will also tell you that if you want a different option for this Easter Dinner, this recipe will NOT disappoint!


Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Mustard, Rosemary & Apple Marinade
From EatingWell:  March 1998, July/August 1996, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)

6 servings

Active Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, or thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
2 12-ounce pork tenderloins, trimmed of fat
1 tablespoon minced shallot
3 tablespoons port, or brewed black tea
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Whisk apple juice concentrate, 2 tablespoons mustard, 1 tablespoon oil, rosemary (or thyme), garlic and peppercorns in a small bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons marinade for basting. Place tenderloins in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over them, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or for up to 2 hours, turning several times.

Heat a grill or broiler.

Combine shallot, port (or tea), vinegar, salt, pepper and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl or a jar with a tight-fitting lid; whisk or shake until blended. Set aside.
Grill or broil the tenderloins, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until just cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 155°F. The temperature will increase to 160° during resting.)

Transfer the tenderloins to a clean cutting board, tent with foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes before carving them into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange the pork slices on plates and drizzle with the shallot dressing. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment