Friday, March 16, 2012

Homemade Turkey Sausage - Freezable

Around our home we try to eat as close to organic as possible, while not spending an arm and a leg. That is one of the reasons why I share weekly deals with you, I know I can't be the only one trying to save moolah while trying to feed my family organic and whole foods! :) Anywhoo, I had a recipe which called for turkey sausage, which I couldn't find organic (at least in our city). So I did the next best thing (in my mind) and purchased organic ground turkey, remembering I found a recipe to make my own turkey sausage. A quick trip to Pinterest when I got home, and I found my recipe. I actually had all of the spices on hand to make the sausage, even though the recipe says you can make the it without all of the spices except the sage, as it gives the sausage a great sausage flavor.

The awesome thing about this recipe is that organic turkey sausage cost at least $9 per pound, that is if you can even find it. I only had to pay the price of the ground turkey, and I knew exactly what was in it! No chemicals, no preservatives, no nitrates or nitrites. It doesn't get any better than that!

I can't wait to make this again! Next time I may add some fennel, as I like the flavor it imparts to sausage. Maple would be a good addition especially for breakfast sausage. I ended up adding this to a sauce with ground beef and eggplant but I would love to make this into patties for breakfast! The recipe says you can freeze them, so that may be up next for me. Possibly for a homemade breakfast sandwich. I shall keep you posted on that. In the meantime, here's the recipe for homemade turkey sausage. Give it a try, you'll love it!

Homemade Turkey Sausage, from Raising Homemakers

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg

Mix all the ingredients and chill for an hour or two. Chilling the mix helps to enhance and blend the flavors as well as helps when forming the patties. Make into patties and fry in a skillet with a little butter or on a griddle. Cool and then freeze. If you don’t have all of the spices you can make it without using them all, except the sage. The sage gives adds a great sausage flavor.

Freezing

When freezing sausages you have a couple of options. It depends on how much room and time you have.

1. Place them on a tray in a single layer, freeze and then put them into freezer bags.

2. Put them in freezer bags with wax or parchment paper in between, so they don’t stick to each other and you can easily pull out just what you need without thawing the entire bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment