Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu Crepes

You know those nights when dinner time is looming, and you're not sure what you're going to make? Yeah, well that's been my problem for the last few days. Maybe it's because we've been working on helping our daughter get healed from this STUPID virus, maybe it's because I tried a new soup recipe and it wasn't good, or maybe I got way too excited over the pizza we had over the weekend and everything else sounds boring. I don't know, but either way I've been stuck in a what-to-make-for-dinner-rut. So tonight I was thinking about something that sounded good, and was searching on my Pinterest boards when Chicken Cordon Bleu popped into my head. I had everything on hand to make it... the only problem was that my chicken was completely frozen. So, I got to thinking and had an idea. A deliciously wonderful idea. Chicken Cordon Bleu Crepes! I looked on Pinterest to see if a recipe like that even exists, and it did! I found a recipe here, but I tweaked it to fit my family's needs.

This is a whole wheat crepe (you cannot tell these are whole wheat) filled with ham, shredded chicken, mushrooms, spinach and Swiss cheese. This is the kind of recipe that you can use to clean out your fridge, just throw in whatever you've got! We liked this so much I think I'll experiment with some more savory dinner crepes in the future. Who am I kidding, the whole wheat crepes turned out so good I'll probably be having them for breakfast in the morning! I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the finished product... I kinda ate it before I remembered. Sorry bout that! At least the picture I DO have is helpful for you to see how to layer the ingredients, right? I kinda thought so ;)


Chicken Cordon Bleu Whole Wheat Crepes

Makes approximately eight crepes

Ingredients:
Crepe:
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 warm water
2 large eggs
2 tblsp melted butter
1 1/2 tblsp sugar
dash of salt

Mix together all ingredients. Take batter and pour into the middle of a greased non-stick pan (smallest will work best) over medium heat.  Pour a little less than 1/4 cup at a time.  Rotate the pan so that the dough spreads out thin and even over the bottom of the pan.  Once solid, and golden on the bottom, flip. Let cook for another minute or so, and remove.

Filling:
1 chicken breasts, shredded
4 slices of ham, cut in half
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
1 cup fresh spinach
12 sliced and sauteed mushrooms (optional)

Layer ingredients on each crepe, then roll. Place seam side down onto a 9x13 pan.

Sauce:
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons white whole wheat flour
2 cups milk
4 oz/1 cup Swiss cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter and then add flour, cook for one minute then whisk in the milk. Cook until thick then remove from heat, stir in cheese. Pour over crepes. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Top with fresh parsley, and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment