Monday, October 3, 2011

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

A few years ago, when my husband's brother and his family lived here, we would have family breakfasts almost every Saturday. It was wonderful. All of us in our pajamas (or "comfies" as we call them around here), with lots of coffee, laughs and delicious food. One morning in particular, I got a hankering for something I'd never had before, but all of a sudden sounded delicious. Banana Pancakes. I went in search of a recipe online, but it took me awhile to actually find one because little did I know there's a Jack Johnson song called Banana Pancakes that's somewhat popular. Anyway, after some searching, I did find a recipe that I tweaked to make my own. In recent months, I've been making them with whole wheat flour as opposed to white flour, as it's better for my family and me. If you're thinking of trying whole wheat flour, a great beginner flour is a white whole wheat. King Arthur flour makes it, and I've been buying mine at Trader Joe's. You can substitute it for all purpose white flour without having to change your recipe (with regular whole wheat flour, you usually have to tweak the liquid).
I added some sliced bananas to
the top of my pancakes
after I poured them on the griddle.
They get all caramelized and yummy.

You can make them with all purpose flour or whole wheat flour. I'm sure you could use other flours, I just haven't experimented yet. I love this pancake because it's dense like a crepe, but super soft and comforting. It also doesn't have a ton of sugar in it. I like mine simply buttered and sprinkled with powdered sugar. This recipe is perfect for those overripe, turning brown bananas you may have lying around. Quick tip: if I have bananas turning brown, but don't have time to do anything with them, I peel them and put them in the freezer in a zip lock. Then when you're ready to use them, just pull them out of the freezer and mash them up! Easy peasy. Without further adieu, here's the recipe.

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

2c white whole wheat flour
4t baking powder
1/2t salt
2T sugar/honey or 1T agave
1 3/4c milk
2 eggs
2T melted butter
1c mashed banana (about 3 medium), more if you want some sliced on top of the pancakes

Preheat a griddle or large non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray or melt some butter in the bottom of the pan.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix all of the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour all of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just to combine, not too much.

Pour the batter onto the heated griddle and cook until pancakes are golden brown on each side. If you're adding sliced bananas on top, put them on before you flip your pancake. I like to keep my finished pancakes in the oven on the 'warm' setting while I finish the entire batch.

One last tip: If for some reason you and your family don't eat all of the pancakes... You can keep them in a freezer bag with wax or parchment paper in between each one to keep them from sticking. Pop them in the fridge or freezer for a treat later on! They freeze wonderfully! You can microwave them or pop 'em in the toaster (if you haven't buttered them).

I hope you make these, and I hope you love them as much as my family and I do. Have a great week!!
~Haley


No comments:

Post a Comment