Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Quick Breakfast, Baked Oatmeal

Mmm Baked Oatmeal, it's one of my husband's and my favorite breakfasts. It's a cinch to throw together, portions out well, and is freezable! I don't know about you, but unless I have something already made, most busy mornings I don't have time to eat breakfast. This has been a life saver on many an occasion. I started making this about 7 years ago, when I was on weight watchers. Long lost now, the recipe I had at the time used all kinds of fat free products that I no longer use (too many chemicals. I'd rather use little bits of the good stuff). I adapted this from a baked oatmeal recipe I got from another personal chef in my network. This recipe is simple, and while it's not "fat free", it is healthy and filling. It also solves an all too common problem in the kitchen:

What the heck do I do with those? For my family, these guys are just about past their prime as far as banana eating goes. But they are perfectly soft and sweet for baked goods like banana bread, baked oatmeal, or smoothies. Baked Oatmeal is probably our favorite way to utilize these not so pretty nanners.


A quick rundown on this recipe: In a large bowl, mix together the oats, spices and chocolate chips. In another large bowl, mix everything else together, then pour it into the oats. Pour that into two pie pans or cake pans that have been buttered or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Let them cool for 15 minutes, then portion out as you please. I like cut each pan into four portions. Perfectly filling, and only 320 calories (with chocolate chips, 250 without). Each serving also has 5 grams of fiber, and 7 grams of protein. Think about it, it's whole grains and a serving of fruit in each piece. Perfect breakfast!You can use other options besides the mashed banana, applesauce would be lovely, so would pumpkin puree. The options are endless! The chocolate chips are optional, but I love the "treat" the provide for my breakfast. As you can see in the pictures, I didn't have chocolate chips on hand this morning, but I did have peanut butter chips... It's delish. I suppose you could just add cocoa powder, I haven't tried it before but 1/4-1/2 cup should work? If you try that let me know how it turns out. Lastly, if you don't have the allspice, nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice, feel free to use 4t cinnamon instead.

Banana Baked Oatmeal

3 1/2c old fashioned oats
2t cinnamon
1/2t allspice
1/2t nutmeg
1t pumpkin pie spice (if you don't have it, just use extra of the other spices)
1/4c honey or agave or sugar (I like to use honey)
3-4 mashed bananas, the more brown the better
3 1/2c water
2 eggs
1T coconut oil or butter (or canola or vegetable oil)
1/2c chocolate chips (I've used peanut butter chips too)

Preheat oven to 350, and spray 2 cake or pie pans with non-stick spray

In a large bowl, mix the oats, spices and chocolate chips

In another large bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Add those to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.

Pour the mixture into pans and bake uncovered 40-45 minutes until set

Cool for 10-15 minutes. Run a rubber spatula around the edges to loosen. From here, I like to cut mine and cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap and freeze!

Just put them in the fridge the night before  you want to eat them (I like to defrost about a week's worth of oatmeal at a time), and pop them in the microwave. You can either add a little milk to them and stir it up into a creamy consistency, or eat it as a solid piece of goodness.

And that's it. Simple, fast, healthy, delicious and freezable. Doesn't get much better than that! Make these, and let me know how you like them!



No comments:

Post a Comment