Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Homemade Healthy Refried Beans in the Crock Pot

One of my favorite blogs as of late, is 100 Days of Real Food. The blog is full of whole and real food ideas and recipes and I've really been enjoying it! The recipe I made today was her refried beans. What stood out to me, was you make them with dried beans (which are super cheap) and you don't have to soak them overnight! That's the sucky thing about dried beans... you do have to soak them and then cook them. So in order to use them you need to plan ahead. But in the case of these refried beans, you don't have to worry about that.
This recipe is the simplest of simple. You add all of the ingredients to the crock pot and walk away for 8 hours. After the time is up, you can mash or blend your beans to the desired consistency. These beans taste SO much better than the type you'd buy in a can, they're also a fraction of the price. I also know exactly what's in them, and there's no lard. Not sayin there's anything wrong with lard, but this recipe doesn't have any. You know what I really love about these beans? I measured mine into 1 cup portions, and froze those babies! I've got beans on hand for anything I need. Burritos, Huevos Rancheros (my new favorite breakfast), nachos, bean dip, etc.

If you like refried beans, saving money and eating well then you will love this recipe!

Easy Slow Cooker Refried Beans
From 100 Days of Real Food

1 onion, peeled and halved (I've also used a few tablespoons of dried onion)
2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
½ fresh jalapeno or other hot pepper, seeded and chopped (I omit if I don't have it on hand)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
One big pinch of cumin
6 cups water

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
Cook on high for 8 hours or overnight while you are sleeping.
Remove the bigger onion chunks and drain the excess liquid. If desired, save excess liquid until the final product is desired consistency.
Mash remaining beans with a potato masher and voila! You have homemade refried beans.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm bet I could use these in freezer burritos. Have you tried freezing them on their own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal, I do freeze these all of the time! I put them in canning jars or ziplock bags. They keep perfectly in the freezer.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try them tonight! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete