Saturday, September 17, 2011

Roast Chicken

Happy Saturday, friends! I normally don't do much posting on the weekends, but I'm just way too excited about our dinner to not share some great ideas with you. Last night, my husband and I did some spur of the moment shopping (yay!). My husband is not a big fan of shopping. Well, that may not be entirely true, but it's not his favorite past time for sure. For instance, when we're grocery shopping he likes to get in and out, while I like to browse every aisle. Anyway, we did some clothes and grocery shopping. While at the grocery store, I picked up two whole chickens. They've been calling my name for the last week. I've really been wanting roast chicken, especially knowing that the weather was going to be kinda rainy today. Roast anything (chicken, beef, pork) signals Fall time for me. While the first day of Fall is six days away, the weather at present says different. My go-to roast chicken isn't a full on recipe, I pretty much throw stuff into my pot. However, I will write up a recipe for you, cause I like you.

Roast Chicken
1 whole chicken, 4-5 pounds
1 large onion, cut in half then sliced thickly
3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
Potatoes, 2 or 3 russets peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces, or 6-8 smaller waxy potatoes cut in 2 inch pieces
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped into 2 inch pieces
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper or Johnny's seasoning salt

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan, dutch oven or sheet pan if you don't have anything else. Drizzle them with olive oil, season with salt and pepper or seasoning salt and toss together.
2. Take the giblets and neck out of the chicken cavity. I know this next part may weird some of you out, but SAVE THOSE babies! Seriously. We're gonna make stock out of them in a day or two (post to come on Monday), there's a TON of benefits to making your own stock from your health to your budget. You can stick them in a freezer bag, and put them right into the freezer if you're not going to make stock for a few days. Stock is SO easy, if you've not done it, please give it a try.
3. Place your chicken on top of the veggies, and tie the legs together with some twine (or yarn, that's what my Mom always did) and tuck the wings underneath the chicken. Click here for a picture from flikr.com on what it'll look like.
4. Drizzle 1-2 T olive oil on the chicken.Season your chicken with your salt and pepper or seasoning salt. Season with oil and salt/pepper underneath the skin too! That'll add extra flavor to the actual meat. If you choose not to eat the skin, you should really season under the skin so you're getting some flavor right on the meat.
5. Place the pan in the oven and roast the chicken for 25 minutes at 450°F. Then reduce the heat to 400°F and roast for an additional 45 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°F on a meat thermometer and the juices run clear.
6. Cover the chicken with foil, and let rest for at least 10 minutes before you cut into it to serve. If you're worried about carving your chicken, check out a tutorial here. Be sure to SAVE THE BONES! We need those for stock.


I also wanted to mention a not-so-traditional roast chicken that my friends and I love! It comes from a website called goop.com, which actually belongs to Gwenyth Paltrow. She has this quick roast chicken and potatoes. It's filled with yummy lemon, herbs, garlic and black pepper, it's AMAZING and only takes an hour. I highly suggest giving it a try.

And there you go, two great roast chicken recipes for a nice Fall supper. Give one (or both) of them a try, and tell me all about it! Have a happy weekend, be blessed!
~Haley

No comments:

Post a Comment