Friday, September 16, 2011

Homemade Graham Crackers and Marshmallows

Strawberry Mallows, Regular Grahams, Chocolate Grahams and Vanilla Mallows
This summer, in preparation for our annual camping trip with our friends A, D, and little C(the second year in a row, with talks of a third year next summer, makes it annual, right?), I just KNEW I had to make the S'mores stuff from scratch. I had wanted to do it last year, but didn't think about it until the day before we left town. But this year, I had a plan. I'd been doing some research on recipes from a lot of the blogs I frequent. I came across a healthier version of grahams, that I actually plan on giving to Addison when she's old enough and a seemingly easy recipe for the mallows.

The grahams were super easy, and SUPER yummy! There's two things I must mention about the recipe. First, don't skip the parchment paper. I repeat, don't skip the parchment paper. What will result is three batches of graham crackers, that have stuck to the pan. No bueno. Secondly, if you're making grahams for s'mores, cut the dough in half, and spread it on two cookie sheets, you'll have to adjust the cooking time if you do this though. With my first batch, I put all of the dough on one sheet, and the grahams were too thick for s'mores, yet perfect for snacking. So if you're just making them for snacking, you could definitely use one pan. Three other things I'd like to mention about this recipe,  I sprinkled the top with cinnamon sugar cause I like my grahams like that. Also, the recipe calls for  rapadura or sucanat, but I haven't experimented with those natural sweeteners yet, so I just used brown sugar. Lastly, you can add 1/3 cup cocoa to the dough, and then you have chocolate grahams! YUM.


The mallows, also super easy, and essentially hands free. You dissolve gelatin in water. Then you bring water, sugar and salt to 240 degrees. Then, you slowly pour your boiled ingredients into a kitchen aid mixer with the gelatin and beat on high for 10 minutes. That's it. You then pour your mallow puff into a powdered sugar dusted pan and let it sit. Couldn't be any easier! I've actually made two versions of mallows. The first time I made them, I followed a recipe that uses corn syrup. Since my family is trying to avoid things like corn syrup, I found this recipe, and it's just as simple. My husband actually preferred the mallows without the corn syrup







The other night, we went to hang with our friends D, S and little M. They just got a new fire pit and wanted to break it in with some s'mores. I (maybe a little too excitedly) offered to bring the s'mores makings. I'd been wanting to make the chocolate grahams, and I had some strawberry puree in my fridge that I needed to do something with. Enter Strawberry Marshmallows! For the strawberry mallows, you'll follow the exact same recipe for regular mallows, but instead of adding water to the gelatin, add strawberry puree. (To puree strawberries, wash and stem them. Then put them in a food processor and process until smooth.) I have to say, the strawberry mallows were amazing! My favorite way to eat them was with the regular graham, and dark chocolate.

I highly reccomend trying out these recipes. Your friends and family will think you're super awesome if you do. You already are super awesome, but this just makes you look even more awesome :)

Here's the link for the mallow recipe: No Corn Syrup Marshmallows

Here's the link for the graham crackers: Graham Crackers

No comments:

Post a Comment