Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blackberry - I'm Pretty Sure It's Not - Cobbler

We've had a late summer around Seattle this year, and we've still got lots of blackberries ripening every day... Which means, I'm stocking my freezer! It also means that any time I have the opportunity to make a dessert lately, I'm trying to use them. So last night, I was browsing the Internet trying to find a special recipe for freshly picked blackberries. I didn't want to do another blackberry pie, or cobbler/crumble/crisp. I wanted something new and different, so I Googled 'Blackberry Desserts' and searched the images until I saw something that looked completely new and different! This is what I found...

Yum. That was my winning recipe. Funny thing is, it looks nothing like a cobbler to me. I've never seen a cobber that looked like that. It looks more like a cinnamon roll in my opinion. I digress. I will say that it was delicious! Here's my finished product:


I hope you try this recipe, please let me know if you do! I'm sure you could substitute any other berry in lieu of blackberries if you needed to.

A few things to mention about the recipe:
~I did choose to omit the cinnamon.
~It is also quite buttery, I'm not saying I'm opposed to that, but I think you could at least use half the amount of butter specified in the bottom of your pan.
~When you go to pour in your sugar/water mixture, I just used enough to come half way up the dough rolls.
She says to measure your dough to 11X9 at 1/4" thick, I'm thinking hers had to have been bigger, cause I only got 8 individual pieces, and it looks like she got 11... Not sure.
~Because I only got 8 pieces, when I went to pull mine out of the oven, it was about two minutes past perfectly "done". It wasn't burnt, but any longer and it would have been. Still tasted amazing. Anyway, because mine was done at the 45 minute mark, I wasn't able to sprinkle the sugar over the top. Instead I just sprinkled with powdered sugar after it cooled down.
~Next time I make this, I will spread the berries out over the entire dough before it gets rolled up. This way I'll have more of a swirl with the rolls, not just fruit in the middle.
~I did not have self rising flour at home when I went to make this, so I was very glad she gave you directions on how to substitute with ingredients I already had on hand.

All that being said, here's the recipe and the website I found it on.

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1/2 c. butter

SYRUP:
1 c. sugar
1 c. water

COBBLER:
1 1/2 c. self-rising flour (You can substitute 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour + 1/4 tsp salt & 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder)
1 c. butter
1/3 c. milk, room temperature (mine was ice cold)
2 c. blackberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon if desired (I didn’t use it)
2 tbsp. sugar
If self-rising flour is not available, substitute 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour plus 1/4 tsp. salt and 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder

Melt 1/2 cup butter in 10 inch round or oval baking dish; set aside. Make cobbler dough by cutting butter/butter into flour until particles are like fine crumbs. Add milk and stir with a fork until dough leaves side of bowl. Turn out on floured board; knead 3 or 4 times. Roll out to 11 x 9 x 1/4 inch thick rectangle.

Spread berries over dough; sprinkle with cinnamon and roll up like a jelly roll. Cut into 1 1/4 inch thick slices.

Carefully place in pan over melted butter. Pour sugar syrup carefully around slices (crust will absorb liquid). Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Fifteen minutes before removing from the oven, sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over crust. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment